Then God said, “I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. ” (Genesis 1: 29)
I’ve always been a health nut. In college I was a vegetarian and I used to run 6 miles a day. I love fruits and vegetables and I’ve never cared much for sweets. After I had my second child, I discovered that my cholesterol was very high (260) and I was diagnosed with GERD (Gastroesophageal reflux disease). I also had 15 lbs to lose. I was dealing with allergies and insomnia and was on benedryl for sleep and sucked on losenges all night to keep from coughing which led to my first cavities. I also had irritable bowel syndrome which disrupted my life. My doctors put me on statins (cholesterol) and anti depressants (for IBS). At the time I really thought that my diet was healthy but in hindsight I can see how unhealthy it really was. It has taken me several years to learn the truth about food and apply what I’ve learned. My biggest learning curve has taken place in the past 7 months as I have really began to study nutrition on my own and take my family’s health seriously.
I can honestly say that since I’ve made these changes in my diet and lifestyle I feel amazing! All the above symptoms are gone and I’m not on any medication whatsoever. My doctor was even amazed that my cholesterol ratio was excellent! All I changed was what I put in my mouth and I started to exercise regularly. I’d like to share what I learned about food and how eating a clean diet has restored my health. I firmly believe that clean, whole foods, pure water and exercise are the best preventative medicines available to us all. I took control of my health and so can you.
- Cancer Rates in America: 1 in 2 will get cancer
- 1 in 3 at risk for Diabetes in America
- 1 in 3 Americans is Obese
- US Life Expectancy Ranks 36th in the World and falling – The next generation will die younger than their parent’s generation did.
- 1 on 88 kids and 1 in 54 boys has autism in USA in 2012 and the numbers are rising
- Pentagon says 75% of America Youth too Sick, Dumb and Fat to serve in the Military
- American Babies are Born with over 250 Chemicals in their blood
- 1 out of 4 Americans has diagnosable mental illness. The United States is poised to rank No. 1 globally for mental illness
- Pesticides in kids linked to ADHD (ADHD affects 4.5 million U.S. kids)
- 1.5 million heart attacks occur in the United States each year with 500,000 deaths.
- Over 24.6 million people in the United States (or 8.2%) have asthma and those rates are rising along with the rates of allergies. Over 250,000 premature deaths are attributed to asthma each year.
What I’ve Learned about Food:
1) Avoid GMOs – The first time I heard the phrase, “Genetically Modified Organisms”, I was sitting on my couch watching ‘Food Inc.’. I remember asking the grocer at Kroger where the non-GMO bread was and he looked at me funny. He had no idea what I was talking about. So how is it that I live in a country where most of the processed food in the grocery store has GMOs in it and people, including myself and the folks who are selling it have no idea what it is? So what is a GMO?
Definition: Meat and edible plants radically modified through genetic engineering (GE). Although humans have genetically modified animal and plants since the beginning of civilization, they did it through selective breeding possible only within the same species through natural reproduction over decades or centuries. GE techniques, however, can transfer genetic material from any source to another to instantly create utterly different variants. Since alien genes are not welcomed by the existing genes, suppressive GE techniques must be used to force the animal or plant to accept them. Such artificially mutated foods are a source of unresolved controversy over the uncertainty of their long-term effects on humans and food chains. Read the entire article here.
Why should you care? “Genetically modified foods have been linked to toxic and allergic reactions, sick, sterile, and dead livestock, and damage to virtually every organ studied in lab animals. The effects on humans of consuming these new combinations of proteins produced in GMOs are unknown and have not been studied.” Click here to learn more about the health risks of GMOs
Source: According the Jeffery Smith, Author of ‘Seeds of Destruction’, “The American Academy of Environmental Medicine (AAEM) has called on all physicians to prescribe diets without genetically modified (GM) foods to all patients.1 They called for a moratorium on genetically modified organisms (GMOs), long-term independent studies, and labeling, stating,”
“Several animal studies indicate serious health risks associated with GM food, including infertility, immune problems, accelerated aging, insulin regulation, and changes in major organs and the gastrointestinal system.
…There is more than a casual association between GM foods and adverse health effects. There is causation…”
There are numerous books, films, websites, news sites and blogs dedicated entirely to the subject of GMOs. The most comprehensive site that I have found is, ‘The Institute for Responsible Technology’. GMOs are banned in many countries but are not even labeled in America. Read: GMO lies: Deliberate misuse of the term “genetically modified” designed to mislead people.
Current GM Crops in the U.S.: (from The Institute for Responsible Technology)
Soy (91%) Cotton (71%) Canola (88%) Corn (85%) Sugar Beets (90%) Hawaiian papaya (more than 50%) Alfalfa (at Supreme Court), Zucchini and Yellow Squash (small amount) Tobacco (Quest® brand) – (Number in parentheses represents the estimated percentage that is genetically modified.)
Other Sources of GMOs:
• Dairy products from cows injected with the GM hormone rbGH
• Food additives, enzymes, flavorings, and processing agents, including the sweetener aspartame (NutraSweet®) and rennet used to make hard cheeses
• Meat, eggs, and dairy products from animals that have eaten GM feed (factory farmed meats)
• Honey and bee pollen that may have GM sources of pollen
• Contamination or pollination caused by GM seeds or pollen
Some of the Ingredients That May Be Genetically Modified: Vegetable oil, vegetable fat and margarines (made with soy, corn, cottonseed, and/or canola)
Ingredients derived from soybeans: Soy flour, soy protein, soy isolates, soy isoflavones, soy lecithin, vegetable proteins, textured vegetable protein (TVP), tofu, tamari, tempeh, and soy protein supplements.
Ingredients derived from corn: Corn flour, corn gluten, corn masa, corn starch, corn syrup, cornmeal, and High-Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS).
Learn more about the dangers of soy by clicking here.
I’m using this to help make healthy choices: Non-GMO shopping guide.
2) Choose Organic Food Whenever Possible:
Learn more by reading – Cancer Report: Toxic Chemical Pesticides Cause Cancer (click on this link)
The Organic Premise: Many people are aware that food grown according to organic principles is free from exposure to harmful herbicides and pesticides, but that is only one small aspect of organic agriculture. A larger part of organic agriculture involves the health of the soil and the ecosystem in which crops and livestock are raised. Organic farmers recognize that healthy, vibrant, and live soils and ecosystems significantly benefit crops. Natural, undisturbed soil is alive with microbiotic organisms that exist in harmony with the native plant life and the inorganic minerals that provide the soil’s substrate.
Synthetic chemicals (such as herbicides, pesticides, and/or fast acting inorganic fertilizers) applied in or around crops interrupt or destroy the microbiotic activity in the soil. Once the microbiotic activity in the soil has stopped, the soil becomes merely an anchor for plant material. In this conventional method of agriculture (in use for only the past 75 of 10,000 years of recorded agriculture) plants can receive only air, water, and sunlight from their environment — everything else must be distributed to plants by farmers, often from inputs transported thousands of miles to reach the farm. Plants are commonly fed only the most basic elements of plant life and so are dependent on the farmer to fight nature’s challenges, e.g. pests, disease, and drought.
An organically cultivated pepper will be healthier and more nutritious than a conventionally cultivated pepper. By growing in a living soil where microbiotic activity constantly breaks organic matter and solid minerals into nutrients a plant can use, an organically cultivated pepper plant always has exactly what it needs to grow, from germination to fruit set, and the plant will be healthier throughout its lifespan than a conventionally grown pepper plant. As a result, the organically grown plant will be able to add more and complex components to all of its parts, including its fruit, resulting in a pepper chock-full of micro-nutrients and trace minerals that are important for human nutrition.
We can’t afford to buy organic all of the time so I use the dirty dozen list to guide my shopping. The items on this list have the most contamination from pesticides and the residues are on the skin and inside the fruit/vegetable. You can’t wash it all off!
1. Celery – Celery has no protective skin, which makes it almost impossible to wash off the chemicals (64 of them!) that are used on crops. Buy organic celery, or choose alternatives like broccoli, radishes, and onions.
2. Peaches – Multiple pesticides (as many as 62 of them) are regularly applied to these delicately skinned fruits in conventional orchards. Can’t find organic? Safer alternatives include watermelon, tangerines, oranges, and grapefruit.
3. Strawberries – If you buy strawberries, especially out of season, they’re most likely imported from countries that have less-stringent regulations for pesticide use. 59 pesticides have been detected in residue on strawberries. Can’t find organic? Safer alternatives include kiwi and pineapples.
4. Apples – Like peaches, apples are typically grown with poisons to kill a variety of pests, from fungi to insects. Tests have found 42 different pesticides as residue on apples. Scrubbing and peeling doesn’t eliminate chemical residue completely, so it’s best to buy organic when it comes to apples. Peeling a fruit or vegetable also strips away many of their beneficial nutrients. Can’t find organic? Safer alternatives include watermelon, bananas, and tangerines.
5. Blueberries – New on the Dirty Dozen list in 2010, blueberries are treated with as many as 52 pesticides, making them one of the dirtiest berries on the market.
6. Nectarines – With 33 different types of pesticides found on nectarines, they rank up there with apples and peaches among the dirtiest tree fruit. Can’t find organic? Safer alternatives include, watermelon, papaya, and mango.
7. Bell peppers – Peppers have thin skins that don’t offer much of a barrier to pesticides. They’re often heavily sprayed with insecticides. (Tests have found 49 different pesticides on sweet bell peppers.) Can’t find organic? Safer alternatives include green peas, broccoli, and cabbage.
8. Spinach – New on the list for 2010, spinach can be laced with as many as 48 different pesticides, making it one of the most contaminated green leafy vegetable.
9. Kale – Traditionally, kale is known as a hardier vegetable that rarely suffers from pests and disease, but it was found to have high amounts of pesticide residue when tested this year. Can’t find organic? Safer alternatives include cabbage, asparagus, and broccoli.
10. Cherries – Even locally grown cherries are not necessarily safe. In fact, in one survey in recent years, cherries grown in the U.S. were found to have three times more pesticide residue then imported cherries. Government testing has found 42 different pesticides on cherries. Can’t find organic? Safer alternatives include raspberries and cranberries.
11. Potatoes – America’s popular spud reappears on the 2010 Dirty Dozen list, after a year hiatus. America’s favorite vegetable can be laced with as many as 37 different pesticides. Can’t find organic? Safer alternatives include eggplant, cabbage, and earthy mushrooms.
12. Grapes – Imported grapes run a much greater risk of contamination than those grown domestically. Only imported grapes make the 2010 Dirty Dozen list. Vineyards can be sprayed with different pesticides during different growth periods of the grape, and no amount of washing or peeling will eliminate contamination because of the grape’s thin skin. Remember, wine is made from grapes, which testing shows can harbor as many as 34 different pesticides. Can’t find organic? Safer alternatives include kiwi and raspberries.
When buying organic, look for the following regulated terms on food labels:
- Food labeled “100% organic” has no synthetic ingredients and can legally use the USDA organic seal.
- Food labeled “organic” has a minimum of 95% organic ingredients. It is eligible to use the USDA organic seal.
- Food labeled “made with organic ingredients” must contain at least 70% organic ingredients. It is not eligible for the USDA seal.
- Meat, eggs, poultry, and dairy labeled “organic” must come from animals that have never received antibiotics or growth hormones.
3) Avoid Plastic (BPA): Tips to Avoid BPA
From Buzzle: Scientists say that a common ingredient in most plastics, called Bisphenol A, or BPA, mimics estrogen and causes reproductive harm in rats at levels below what most humans are exposed to every day. In fact, BPA was first developed in the 1930s as a synthetic estrogen. For whatever reason, someone decided that it would make a great liner for canned food products and an additive for plastics manufacturing. As a result, 95% of adult Americans have a measurable amount of BPA in our blood and urine.
A study performed by Randy L Jirtle at Duke University in North Carolina and reported in the June 2006 issue of Science News revealed that pregnant mice who were fed low doses of BPA in their food gave birth to offspring who showed genetic changes, such as a tendency toward obesity. Another study, published in the July 2007 issue of Reproductive Technology, was performed by the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences. The NIEHS team conducted a short-term examination of newborn female mice exposed to varying levels of BPA. When those mice were re-examined at mid-life, they had reproductive anomalies that were not found in the control group, such as ovarian cysts and uterine growths. The amounts of BPA given to mice in the NIEHS study fell below levels found in most humans.
What does this mean for humans? The good news is that humans metabolize BPA at faster rates than rats do, so the chemical leaves the body fairly quickly. The bad news is that we are continually exposed to levels of BPA above those which correspond to reproductive harm in rodents. Experts report observing estrogenic-like changes in wildlife that are similar to the effects seen in lab animals exposed to BPA, revealing possible evidence that the chemical has leached into ground water and plants consumed by animals in the wild.
What you can do to reduce their exposure to BPA:
* Avoid canned foods such as soups and tomato-based pastas, which had the highest levels of BPA, and canned infant formula, which had over 200 times the recommended safety levels of BPA.
* B-vitamins seem to neutralize the effects of BPA, so take your vitamins!
* Baby bottles and sippy cups had high levels of BPA as well, so avoiding these might be a good idea. Pliable, “cloudy” plastics such as the Medela brand baby bottles don’t contain BPA.
* Some plastic wraps contain BPA, so check the labels for “BPA-free” wraps.
* Consider using an alternative to plastic water bottles. Consider natural plastic alternatives. Biota makes a corn-based plastic for its natural spring water. The bottle dissolves in 70-80 days, and uses no petroleum products in its manufacturing process. Other companies are experimenting with compostable or biodegradable plastics made from corn, hemp, or potatoes.
Or think about stepping out of the Plastic Age, as much as is possible. Glass food or beverage containers can make as much sense as plastic, so consider the possibilities for expanding beyond the overwhelming use of plastics. It’s better for you, and better for the planet.
4) Eat Raw Food Frequently: Visit ‘Starting a Raw Food Diet’
Health Benefits of Eating Raw Food: From: GHC Natural Health and Organic Living Site
Raw foods are also extremely high in nutrients such as potassium, magnesium, fiber and plant phytochemical. A report from the Journal of Nutrition stated that increased use of raw foods in our diet lowers both cholesterol and triglyceride levels in the body, some of the main indicators for heart disease, obesity & high blood pressure.
If you slowly begin to eat in this fashion, you will be amazed at your increased energy levels, youthful appearance and decreased visits to the doctors office. Increasing raw food intake has also been linked to a decreased need for sleep, with many reporting that they have more energy when they wake up in the morning, and that they find it easier to get out of bed!
Other benefits of following a raw food diet include improved skin appearance, excess weight loss, improved digestion, the reduction of many diseases such as heart disease, diabetes and cancer, as well as many other health debilitating ailments. Raw foods typically do not have as many trans and saturated fats, as compared to most cooked foods, especially fast food, junk food and any other processed foods.
Watch ‘Raw For 30 Days’ to see how this diet cured 6 people of both type 1 and type 2 diabetes. Cooking food destroys all the enzymes and most of the nutrients in the food. I try to get at least 50% of my calorie intake from raw food daily.
My favorite way to eat raw food includes: Smoothies, fresh, organic juices, salads, fruit and raw nuts and seeds.
5) Choose Free-Range, Grass Fed and Pastured Meat, Milk and Eggs:
One of the staples of my diet is eggs, free range, organic eggs that is. In fact, I eat at least two eggs a day. Here’s what I’ve learned about eggs:
According to BRYAN WELCH: Our testing has found that, compared to official U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) nutrient data for commercial eggs, eggs from hens raised on pasture may contain:
• 1/3 less cholesterol
• 1/4 less saturated fat
• 2/3 more vitamin A
• 2 times more omega-3 fatty acids
• 3 times more vitamin E
• 7 times more beta carotene
WebMD says: “But just how can you tell what you’re buying, when you’re shopping for eggs? What do terms like cage-free, free-range, organic, and others mean?”
Cage-free eggs are eggs from birds that are not raised in cages, but in floor systems usually in an open barn. The hens have bedding material such as pine shavings on the floor, and they are allowed perches and nest boxes to lay their eggs. However, they may still be at close quarters with many other hens — just not in cages. That depends on the farm.
Free-range eggs are laid from hens that have the opportunity to go outside. Smaller farms may keep birds outside under a canopy area. They may travel in and out of a barn at free will or spend some portion of their day roaming outdoors.
Organic eggs are laid from hens that may be kept in any kind of caging system, but generally are cage free. They eat an organic feed and don’t receive vaccines or antibiotics.In order to qualify for USDA organic certification, the grains used for the hens’ diets must be produced on land that has been free from the use of toxic and persistent chemical pesticides and fertilizers for at least three years. Genetically engineered crops are not permitted, and hens must be maintained without hormones, antibiotics, and other intrusive drugs.
My family and I have been drinking raw milk for a year now. We love it and have never had any reactions to it. I purchase all of my raw milk, free range eggs and grass fed meats from West Wind Farms. Just make sure to drink your milk while it’s fresh. Ours stays fresh for 7-8 days.
Clean raw milk from pastured cows is a complete and properly balanced food. You could live on it exclusively if you had to. Indeed, published accounts exist of people who have done just that (5)(6). What’s in it that makes it so great? Select the above link to look at the ingredients that make raw milk such a powerful food.
6) Drink Pure Water: See my post ‘Water’ to learn more…
According to Paul Bragg, author of, “The Shocking Truth About Water”: “Drinking the right kind of water is one of your best natural protections against all kinds of virus infections such as influenza, pneumonia, whopping cough, measles and other infectious diseases. Doctors advise bed-rest and plenty of water for the flu. When the body’s tissues and cells are kept well-supplied with ample water, they can fight viral attacks more efficiently. If the body’s cells are water-starved, they become shriveled up, parched and dry, making it easy for viruses and diseases to attack.
Always bear in mind the important functions of the right kind of water in your body. Water is a vital component of all body fluids, tissues, cells, lymph, blood and glandular secretions. Water holds all nutritive factors in solution and acts as a transportation medium to the various parts of the body for these substances. The mucous membranes need plenty of water to keep them soft and free from friction on their delicate surfaces.
Water Flushes Toxins Out of the Body
One of the most important functions of water is to flush the toxins and salt from the body. Pure water keeps the body’s cells healthier and prevents dehydration. The face and neck remain more free of ageing lines and wrinkles, while the entire body retains its youthfulness longer!
The 70% Watery Human
The amount of water in the human body, averaging 70%, varies considerably and even from one part of the body to another area. A lean man may hold 70% of his weight in water, while a woman—because her larger proportion of water-poor fatty tissues—may be only 52% water. The lowering of the water’s content in the blood is what triggers the hypothalamus, the brain’s thirst center, to send out its familiar urgent demand for a drink of water
Water is Important to Superb Health
People who ingest a sufficient amount of the right kinds of liquids (distilled water, fresh fruits and vegetables and their juices) have better body functioning and circulation overall, which are most important to Super Health and Long Life.”
For pure water, we use a Reverse Osmosis System. This is to remove the chlorine and fluoride from our water. Distilled water is also a good choice but is devoid of any minerals so make sure you get yours from supplements and plenty of organic fruits and vegetables.
7) Avoid Sugar, High Fructose Corn Syrup and Artificial Sweeteners. See my post, ‘The Truth about Sugar’ to learn more.
Original Sources: Refined sugar contains no fiber, no minerals, no proteins, no fats, no enzymes, only empty calories. What happens when you eat a refined carbohydrate like sugar? Your body must borrow vital nutrients from healthy cells to metabolize the incomplete food. Calcium, sodium, potassium and magnesium are taken from various parts of the body to make use of the sugar. Many times, so much calcium is used to neutralize the effects of sugar that the bones become osteoporotic due to the withdrawn calcium.
Likewise, the teeth are affected and they lose their components until decay occurs and hastens their loss. Refined sugar is void of all nutrients, consequently it causes the body to deplete its own stores of various vitamins, minerals and enzymes. If sugar consumption is continued, an over-acid condition results, and more minerals are needed from deep in the body to correct the imbalance. If the body is lacking the nutrients used to metabolize sugar, it will not be able to properly handle and rid itself of the poisonous residues.
These wastes accumulate through the brain and nervous system, which speeds up cellular death. The bloodstream becomes over-loaded with waste products and symptoms of carbonic poisoning result.
Sugar also makes the blood very thick and sticky, inhibiting much of the blood flow into the minute capillaries that supply our gums and teeth with vital nutrients. Therefore, we wind up with diseased gums and starving teeth. America and England, the two largest sugar consumers, have horrendous dental problems.
Diabetes is another commonly known disease caused by sugar. Diabetes is caused by the failure of the pancreas to produce adequate insulin when the blood sugar rises. A concentrated amount of sugar introduced into the system sends the body into shock from the rapid rise in the blood sugar level. The pancreas eventually wears out from overwork and diabetes then rears its ugly head.
Hypoglycemia occurs when the pancreas overreacts to the large amount of sugar in the blood and releases too much insulin leaving one with the “tired” feeling as the blood sugar level becomes lower than it should be.
“A recent article in the British Medical Journal, entitled The Sweet Road to Gallstones, reported that refined sugar may be one of the major dietary risk factors in gallstone disease. Gallstones are composed of fats and calcium. Sugar can upset all of the minerals, and one of the minerals, calcium, can become toxic or nonfunctioning, depositing itself anywhere in the body, including the gallbladder.
“One out of ten Americans has gallstones. This risk increases to one out of every five after age forty. Gallstones may go unnoticed or may cause pain-wrenching pain. Other symptoms might include bloating, belching, and intolerance to foods.” (3)
Another serious problem with sugar that is now coming to the forefront is the various levels of mental problems. Our brains are very sensitive and react to quick chemical changes within the body. As sugar is consumed, our cells are robbed of their B vitamin, which destroys them, and insulin production is inhibited. Low insulin production means a high sugar (glucose) level in the bloodstream, which can lead to a confused mental state or unsound mind, and has also been linked with juvenile criminal behavior.
Dr. Alexander G. Schauss, brings this solemn fact out in his book, Diet, Crime and Delinquency. Many mental ward and prison inmates are “sugarholics” and erratic emotional outbreaks often follow a sugar binge.
A good documentary about Aspartame is Sweet Misery a Poisoned World
High Fructose Corn Syrup
Take a couple items from your kitchen and look at the ingredients. The majority of items sold contain “high fructose corn syrup” and some items you would never expect to have this ingredient do… so please listen up.
High fructose corn syrup causes:
and…. High Fructose Corn Syrup is contaminated with Mercury and promotes obesity and liver damage
Manufacturers are using this ingredient because it costs them less money. I’ve chosen to avoid it all costs.
8. Eat More Healthy Fats: For more information, read: The Cholesterol Myth That is Harming Your Health
Fats To Eat
- Organic butter, raw milk, cheese, tallow and sour cream from grass-fed cows (click to find sources)
- Ghee from grass-fed cows (click to find sources)
- Unrefined Coconut and Coconut oil
- Cold pressed olive oil and sesame oils (uncooked or low heat) (click to find sources
- Raw nuts
- Free Range, Organic Eggs (lightly cooked with yolks intact or raw)
- Organic, grass-fed meats
Fats To Avoid
- Soy oil (GMO, can contain trans fatty acids and can cause heart lesions)
- Corn oil (GMO, can contain trans fatty acids and can cause heart lesions)
- Cottonseed Oil
- Canola Oil (GMO, can contain trans fatty acids and can cause heart lesions)
- Hydrogenated Oils
- Trans Fats
- Most other vegetable oils, especially when not cold pressed (they are rancid and therefore a carcinogen)
9) Avoid Fast Food and Processed Food: ‘Watch Super Size Me’ to learn more about fast food
Fast foods and processed foods are loaded with all the additives, unhealthy fats, chemicals, GMOs, salt and sugar that we are trying to stay away from.
10) Avoid MSG, Food Colorings and other Harmful Food Additives
Here’s a list of Food additives to avoid from ‘Healthy Reader, A guide to healthy lifestyle’
1. Sodium Nitrate/ Sodium Nitrite
What is it? Nitrates/Nitrites preserve, flavor and maintain a red color in many processed meat products.
You can find them in: Processed meat products-Bacon, sausage, ham, hot dogs, lunch meat, pepperoni, smoked fish, corn beef, canned meat. It’s also found in some cheese.
Why you should avoid them: Nitrites can form potent carcinogenic nitrosamines in the body. Nitrosamines are among the most powerful carcinogens known and even small amounts can lead to cancer. Studies confirm that nitrates and nitrites can cause prostate, breast and stomach cancers in humans. Nitrates are associated with increased miscarriages, fetal deaths and birth defects in laboratory animals. Both US and Canadian regulatory agencies have lowered the permissible levels of nitrates/nitrites for use in processed foods.
Alternatives: Health food stores offer a variety of nitrite/nitrate free meats.
2. BHA and BHT – (Butylated hydroxyanisole and butylated hydrozyttoluene)
What is it? BHA and BHT preserve many common processed foods
You can find them in: cereal, chewing gum, potato chips, and vegetable oils.
Why you should avoid them: Repeated studies show that BHA and BHT increase the risk of cancer and accumulate in body tissue, causing liver enlargement. They also slow down the rate of DNA synthesis and cell development.
You can find it in: some processed meat products, chicken soup stock and gum.
Why you should avoid it: Propyl Gallate is a suspected carcinogen. It is also known to cause kidney, liver and gastrointestinal problems.
4. MSG (Monosodium Glutamate)
What is it? Monosodium glutamate enhances flavors
You can find it in: most canned soups, salad dressings, chips, crackers and frozen foods. It is also found in most spice and flavoring blends.
MSG can be legally concealed on food labels behind harmless-sounding names like “natural flavoring”, “spices”, “seasonings” etc…
Why you should avoid it: MSG can cause severe reactions in some people- headaches, nausea etc… Animal studies link it to damaging nerve cells in the brains of mice.
5. Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil
What is it? Hydrogenated vegetable oil sometimes goes by the name “partially hydrogenated vegetable oil.” It is more commonly known as a trans fat.
You can find it in: Processed chips, microwave popcorn, crackers, cookies,pastries, pies, cakes, most fast foods, butter, margarine, lard, coconut oil, cottonseed oil & palm kernel oil etc…
Why you should avoid it:Trans fats raise levels of “bad” LDL cholesterol and lower levels of “good” HDL cholesterol, which increases your chances of developing heart disease,having a heart attack, stroke or kidney failure.
Alternative: Monounsaturated fats like Cold Pressed Extra Virgin Olive Oil, help to lower bad LDL cholesterol and raises good HDL cholesterol.
What is it? A genetically engineered artificial sweetener. Aspartame is sold by the brand names Nutrasweet and Equal. It’s found in 6,000 products worldwide.
You can find it in: Diet foods- diet soft drinks & drink mixes, low calorie desserts, gelatins, puddings, frozen desserts, yogurt, some childrens vitamins etc…
Why you should avoid it: Aspartame is responsible for 80% of the complaints that the FDA receives. The FDA has compiled a list of 92 Aspartame poisoning symptoms, from over 10,000 consumers. These complaints include- headaches, memory loss, seizures, vision loss, coma, and cancer.
Aspartame was once listed as a “Biochemical Warfare Agent” by the Pentagon. For 8 years The US Food and Drug Administration did not approve Aspartame because of the evidence that was brought to light by numerous scientists, litigators and consumer groups, that aspartame damages the central nervous system and causes cancer in animals.
Alternatives: Stevia and Xylitol are low calorie, natural sweeteners
7. Acesulfame-K…(Sunette, Sweet-n-Safe, Sweet One)
What is it? This is a relatively new artificial sweetener, approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration in 1998.
You can find it in: Diet soft drinks, baked goods, chewing gum, and gelatin desserts.
Why you should avoid it: Acesulfame-K often is on many top 12 lists of additives to avoid because further study is needed in order to decide whether or not it is harmful to humans. Some studies showed this additive causes cancer in rats.
Alternatives: Stevia and Xylitol are low calorie, all natural, safe sweetners.
8. Food Colorings: Blue 1, 2; Red 3; Green 3; Yellow 6
Blue 1 and 2: used in beverages, candy, baked goods and some pet food. It has been linked to cancer in mice.
Red 3: used to dye cherries, fruit cocktail, candy and baked goods. Causes thyroid tumors in rats.
Green 3: used to color candy and beverages. Has been linked to bladder cancer.
Yellow 6: used to color beverages, sausage, gelatin, baked goods, and candy. Causes tumors of the adrenal gland and kidneys.
9. Olestra (brand name is Olean)
What is it? Olestra is a synthetic fat that prevents fat from getting absorbed by your digestive system. It also prevents valuable fat-soluable vitamins (A,D,E & K) and carotenoids from being absorbed by the body.
You can find it in: some brands of potato chips
Why you should avoid it: More than 15,000 consumers have filed complaints saying that Olestra has caused health problems- gas, diarrhea and abdominal cramps so severe that they had to go to the emergency room.
10. Potassium Bromate
What is it? Potassium bromate is a bleaching agent in white flour.
You can find it in: breads, rolls and pizza dough
Why you should avoid it: It is known to cause cancer in animals and humans. It is still legal for it to be used in the United States and Japan. The state of California has it listed as, “chemicals known to the state to cause cancer or reproductive toxicity” and requires a cancer warning on products that have Potassium Bromate as an ingredient.
Alternative: Look for flour and bakery products marked “UNBROMATED”
11. White Sugar/ High Fructose Corn Syrup
Why you should avoid it: Too much white sugar/high fructose corn syrup in the diet puts on the pounds, causes depression, rots teeth and messes with blood sugar levels, which can lead to diabetes. It also leaches valuable vitamins and minerals out of the body.
Alternatives: Maple Syrup (not the kind with High Fructose Corn Syrup, dye & synthetic “maple flavoring”), Raw Honey, Brown Rice Syrup, Sorghum Molasses, Barley Malt Syrup and Date Sugar are all nutritious sweeteners that won’t put you on a blood sugar rollercoaster ride.
12. Sodium Chloride
What is it? Sodium chloride is more commonly known as table salt. It enhances flavor and acts as a preservative. Processed foods have extremely high levels of sodium, so read those labels carefully.
Why you should avoid it: Refined, table salt is 99.9% sodium chloride. During the refining process, naturally occurring minerals and trace elements are stripped away, then it’s blasted with high heat, bleached and chemicals like aluminum and anti-caking agents are added to it.
Too much processed table salt intake burdens the kidneys and adrenal glands, depletes calcium and interferes with the absorption of essential nutrients. It also causes high blood pressure, heart attack, stroke. “Low-sodium salt” is even more toxic than table salt. More chemicals are added to the mix, in order to remove the sodium and stimulate the synthetic taste of salt.
Alternatives: Flavor your food with herbs, a squeeze of lemon or lime, unrefined sea salt, Spike (an all natural salt substitute that has 37 herbs and spices) or Herbamare (a blend of sea salt and 14 herbs).
12) Include Super Foods: This List is from David Wolfe, Rock Star of the Raw Food Movement
Maca – A thyroid supporting food with 18 amino acids. Supports our hypothalamus and pituitary gland. Increases vigor, vitality, helps us adapt to stress.
Acai – A miracle superfood that fights 80% of cancers and promotes longevity. Has a blue pigment in its skin that is highly beneficial to our immune system and cell production. High in omega 3s. Higher demand for acai could help to save the Amazon rainforest that the acai berry calls home.
Bee Pollen and Royal Jelly – Both promote longevity. Beekeeprs live long due to their intake of bee pollen – the most complete food in the world according to David. A complete protein with 50-60 minerals, and highly bioavailable.
Raw Honey – Our #1 source of digestive enzymes. Helps the body remove metabolic waste, and has been known to increase the IQ of children by 10 points!
Aloe Vera – Anti-fungal, contains polysaccharaides that protect our immune system.
Raw Cacao – Contains magnesium, chromium, iron, zinc and copper. Great for your brain and heart (the main mineral in our heart is magnesium). “Cacao is #1 in the world for antioxidants of any fruit/nut.”
Goji berry – a complete protein, high in antioxidants, amino acids and polysaccharides. “Eat them raw and have the best day ever.”
Noni juice – Fresh noni or fresh noni powder, high in vitamins and minerals, helps repair our cells inside and out.
Coconut oil – Thyroid supporting. Coconut oil is the best for your skin. Contains medium-chain fatty acids that hydrate tissue and support immune system. Our bodies will push poor oils out of our system, drive residue out, and replace it with the healthier coconut oil. The high quality nutrients will be absorbed, and the body will push out the “toxic imposters.”
Kelp – Full of nutrients – contains iodine – saved people from radiation sickness during Hiroshima.
Blue Green Algae and Spirulina – Full of amino acids and antioxidants – amazing for the immune system and helps produce stem cells. Combined with the camu camu berry, this is the “best immune system weaponry.”
Marine Phytoplankton – The basis for the world’s food chain. Contains ATP, which is the energy currency of our body. The ATP will give you instant energy with no stimulation. We’re alert, awake – but not stimulated like we would be with caffeine.
Moringa – Known as the miracle tree, moringa has been used as food and medicine in Asia and parts of Africa for thousands of years.
Other Superfoods: Camu, Chlorella, Lucuma, Spirulina, Chia and Kale
Super Herbs: Amla, Ashwagandha, Bacopa, Bitter Melon, Carulluma, Gingko Biloba, Gotu Kola, Graviola, Guggul Extract, Gymemna, Holy Basil, Lucuma, Mangosteen, Mucuna, Neem, Rosehip Extract, Shilijit Extract, Turmeric Extract, Valerian Extract, Oregano Oil.
13) Take Supplements
Here are 7 good reasons to take supplements and we do.
1. Food irradiation: is a food processing technique to extend the shelf life of food by destruction of harmful microorganisms and delay of ripening. The food is exposed to ionizing energy and radiation. However, this process also eliminates the essential nutrients especially water soluble vitamins and antioxidants. Food irradiation is widely used in products like chicken, meats, and vegetables. This technique is approved and used in more than 40 countries world wide.
2. Environmental Pollution: Everyday millions kilograms of chemicals are dumped into our environment. These wastes go to the air, water and food that we eat. For example, if you eat fish, you are quite likely to consume excessive mercury at the same time. Studies show that environmental pollution is the main cause for degenerative diseases. Thus, you need quality and potent health supplements to detoxify your body against the pollution and boost immune system.
2. Genetically modified (GM) foods: are crop plans created for human or animal consumption with advanced technology. GM foods are created to improve crop protection and improve the nutritional value. Although all GM foods you see from the market passed risk assessment, there is no long term study indicate that they are safe to human. In fact, GM foods can cause allergic reaction in some people. In addition, rat studies have shown that consumption of GM foods increased intestinal infections and reduce immunity.
3. Soil depletion: Aggressive farming, acid rains, use or artificial fertilizers and synthetic pesticides have caused soil depletion. These activities deplete the essential nutrients in the soil. As a result, nutritional values of fruits and vegetables are greatly reduced. In fact, the vegetables you eat today taste bland due to lack minerals in the soil. According to a recent study sponsored by United Nations Environment Program (UNEP), about 17% of land in the world has been damaged. However, soil remains is either slowly losing nutrients, or no longer contain the essential nutrients.
4. Lifestyle: Depending on your lifestyle and behavior, you may need nutritional supplements. For example, smoking destroys certain vitamins. Both first hand and second hand smokers need to take extra antioxidants to protect the body against free radicals. Excessive alcohol consumption impairs the body’s ability to absorb many nutrients and inhibits the production of digestive enzymes. In the above mentioned situations, taking supplements is MUST to stay healthy. Other examples that require extra supplementation include: athletes, pregnant ladies, people who work in radioactive environment and those who work in physically demanding occupation.
5. Stress: is not an unusual terms to many of us. Stress can deplete your energy, lead to acceleration of aging process and degenerative diseases. The symptoms of stress include fatigue, depression, panic, anxiety, loss of appetite, and insomnia. Fortunately, there are supplements that can work to effectively reduce the detrimental effects of stress, and also relief the symptoms of stress.
6. Pesticides in foods: Pesticides are widely used in agricultural activities to control and destroy pests. Pesticides are poisonous and reside in our foods. According to a study by Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the health benefits of fruits and vegetables are reduced by use of pesticides. When you eat foods that contain pesticides, they may cause health problems to immune system, nervous and hormonal system. Unfortunately, there is no way you can detect pesticides in foods.
7. Food Processing: Most of the foods from supermarkets are processed. Processed foods are not fresh and contain fewer nutrients compare to fresh foods. For example, grain peels which contain natural fiber are removed in the processing stage. Processed foods also contain no live enzymes. Enzymes are necessary for digestion and metabolic function. Lack of enzymes can cause degenerative diseases. In addition, processed foods contain refined sugar, extra salt, unhealthy fat, and chemical additives. These substances may bring negative impacts to your body.
We take several supplements in our family:
Here’s the list of supplements that we take.
- Omega 3 fatty acids in Krill Oil or Fermented Cod Liver Oil – for brain health
- Probiotics – for gut and immune health
- Vitamin D – over all health
- Melatonin – for sleep
- Gingko – for brain health
- Digestive Enzymes – for gut health
- Magnesium – over all health
Not all supplements are created equal. Make sure your supplement has the Unites States Pharmacopeia (USP) seal. This means that the supplement has been tested and that it actually contains the amounts of vitamins and minerals that are listed on the label. I purchase my supplements from companies that I’ve researched and trust:
5 Reasons to Ditch Gluten – Here are 5 reasons why going gluten-free can burn fat, eliminate symptoms, and feel and look your best.
- Gluten creates gut permeability. Gluten contains a protein with the unwieldy name zonulin, which damages the tight junctions in your gut. Things not intended to slip through your gut wall suddenly get through, creating an immune response. Delayed reactions, which can occur hours or days later, include joint pain, brain fog, gastrointestinal problems, anxiety, and depression. You may not connect, for instance, the headache you have Wednesday morning with the wheat pasta you ate the night before.
- Gluten triggers inflammation. Besides the immune-related delayed symptoms, gluten-induced leaky gut creates inflammation. Chronic inflammation contributes to every degenerative disease, including diabetes, Alzheimer’s, cancer, and obesity. A study in theJournal of the American Medical Association found that people with gluten sensitivity had a higher risk of death. The results were shocking: while people with full-blown celiac had a 39% increased risk of death, that number increased to 72% for people with gluten-triggered inflammation!
- Gluten is low in nutrients. Someone on my social media recently commented that without gluten, you’re missing out on key nutrients. Au contraire! Gluten-containing foods are notoriously low in vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients compared to vegetables, fruits, nuts, and seeds. Don’t believe me? Compare nutrient rock stars like spinach or almonds with whole grain bread or wheat pasta. Whole foods like spinach and almonds come loaded with naturally occurring nutrients, whereas breads, pastas, and other processed gluten-containing foods contain small amounts of cheap, fortified nutrients.
- Gluten inhibits nutrient absorption. Not only does gluten not bring much nutrient-wise to the party: it also steals nutrients other foods bring! Gluten-triggered permeability, for instance, inhibits your gut from absorbing nutrients and making vitamin B12. Gluten also contains phytates, an anti-nutrient that can block mineral absorption.
- Eating gluten makes you fat. Gluten contains lectins, which can bind to insulin receptors and create insulin resistance. They can also bind to your intestinal lining, causing you to store more calories as fat. To make things worse, lectins can trigger leptin resistance, which makes you hungrier even after you’ve eaten a full meal. Couple lectins with leaky gut, inflammation, and poor nutrient levels that can stall metabolism, and you’ve got a surefire way to pile on weight. Most gluten-containing carbohydrates also raise your blood sugar, which triggers an insulin response. Higher insulin levels do one thing really well: store fat. When people with weight loss resistance pull gluten, they feel night-and-day better and the scales start moving again.
For more information read the Gluten Files.
15) Eat Fermented Foods
What exactly are fermented foods? Wine, beer and cider are fermented. Leavened bread is fermented. Dairy products such as yogurt, kefir and some cheeses are fermented. Pickled vegetables can be fermented. When fermentation occurs, the sugars and carbohydrates in a food convert into something else. For instance, juice turns into wine, grains turn into beer, carbohydrates turn into carbon dioxide to leaven bread and vegetable sugars become preservative organic acids.
Why does this process help people stay healthy?
Fermented foods aid in digestion and thus support the immune system.
— Imagine a fermented food as a partially digested food. For instance, many people have difficulty digesting the lactose in milk. When milk is fermented and becomes yogurt or kefir, the lactose is partially broken down so it becomes more digestible.
— Organic or lactic-acid fermented foods (such as dill pickles and sauerkraut) are rich in enzyme activity that aids in the breakdown of our food, helping us absorb the important nutrients we rely on to stay healthy.
— Fermented foods have been shown to support the beneficial bacteria in our digestive tract. In our antiseptic world with chlorinated water, antibiotics in our meat, our milk and our own bodies, and antibacterial everything, we could use some beneficial bacteria in our bodies.
— When our digestion is functioning properly and we are absorbing and assimilating all the nutrients we need, our immune system tends to be happy, and thus better equipped to wage war against disease and illness.
- Best Juicers – Breville Ikon and Green Star Juicer
- Best Blender – Vitamix
- Favorite Certified Organic Farm for raw milk/cheese, grass-fed/pastured meats and eggs in TN – West Wind Farms
- Best Whole Food Supplements and Nutritional Products – New Chapter and Baseline Nutritionals
- Favorite Books – Gut and Psychology Syndrome, Deep Nutrition, Natural Cures, Healing the Gerson Way, 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth, The Most Effective Natural Cures On Earth
- Best Health Podcast – Natural News Podcast
- Best Health Documentaries – Food Matters, Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead, Healing Cancer
- Best Grocery Store for Organic Produce in Memphis – Whole Foods
- Best Bentonite Clay for Detox – Mississippi Miracle Clay
- Best Free Nutrition/Prevention Advice – Dr. Mercola and Jon Barron
- Best Natural, Preventative Health Care Provider in Memphis – Dr. John Smothers
- Best Site for Learning about Vaccines – National Vaccine Information Center
- Best Herbs and Superfoods – Dragon Herbs
- Best Grounding Products – Earthing Solutions