I recently spoke to a group of ladies at my church about health and nutrition. I passed out a handout with this information on it.
Then God said, “I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. ” (Genesis 1: 29)
Current Health Statistics
- In 1970 1 in 10,000 had autism. CDC – 1 in 50 has autism in 2013.
- In 1970 4% of children were obese with rare cases of type 2 diabetes. In 2013 40% of children are obese and one in three children suffers from diabetes. Diabetes cases among all age groups have increased more than 700 percent in the last 50 years.
- Childhood asthma rates have increased by 200% since 1990. 8% of Americans have asthma today.
- Only 1% of children were diagnosed with ADHD in 1970. In 2013 11% of children are diagnosed with ADHD (that is one in 5). There has been a 700% increase in psycho-stimulant use.
- Food allergies are now among America’s most common medical concerns. Today 3 in 100 people have a life-threatening allergy to peanuts, dairy, eggs or shellfish.
- According to the American Cancer Society cancer rates have increased since 1901 from only 1 in 8,000 Americans to 1 in 3 today. Brain cancer in children is up 40% in 20 years.
What is causing this explosion of disease in the past few decades? We know our genes can’t change that fast.
1) Environmental Toxins – 2,000 new chemicals are introduced into commerce annually in the U.S., at a rate of seven new chemicals a day. 85,000 chemicals are in use today. Our government does not require safety testing on chemicals before they are released into the environment. A modern baby is born with 200+ chemicals in his/her blood many of which are known to be carcinogens and endocrine disruptors.
2) Electromagnetic pollution is a global problem. EMFs are the radiation that surrounds all electrical appliances and devices, power lines, and home wiring and is emitted by communications devices, including cell phones and radio, TV, and WiFi transmitters.
Public health policy experts from the United States, Sweden, Denmark, Austria, and China, released a 650-page report citing more than 2,000 studies that detail the toxic effects of EMFs from all sources. Chronic exposure to even low-level radiation (like that from cell phones), the scientists concluded, can cause a variety of cancers, impair immunity, and contribute to Alzheimer’s disease and dementia, heart disease, and many other ailments.
3) Toxic food is man made, processed food, which includes dangerous additives like high fructose corn syrup, MSG, nitrates/nitrites, artificial sweeteners, food dyes, chemical preservatives, trans and hydrogenated fats and GMOs. Industry spends billions advertising fast food and junk food to our children. Food scientists have figured out how to engineer food to make it addictive to increase profits.
Genetically Modified foods include Soy, Cottonseed oil, Canola, Corn, Sugar Beets, Hawaiian papaya, Alfalfa, Zucchini and some Yellow Squash. 50 countries ban or significantly restrict GMOS. Visit “The Institute for Responsible Technology” for more information.
4) Chronic Stress: Unlike everyday stressors, which can be managed with healthy stress management behaviors, untreated chronic stress can result in serious health conditions including anxiety, insomnia, muscle pain, high blood pressure and a weakened immune system. Research shows that stress can contribute to the development of major illnesses, such as heart disease, depression and obesity.
5) The destruction of microbial diversity – Almost all disease begins in the gut. Microbial health and diversity is the key to a strong, healthy body and immune system. Antibiotics, pesticides, chemicals, steroids, chemotherapy and Genetically modified food all contribute to the destruction of healthy bacteria in our gut.
How Do I build a healthy body through nutrition? JUST EAT REAL FOOD!
Take baby steps. Choose one or more items to focus on at a time.
1) Eat raw food to detoxify, alkalinize, energize, lose weight, improve digestion and live longer. Living foods contain enzymes. Get raw food via juicing, smoothies, salads and dips. 50% or more of our diet should be raw.
Foods to buy organic (thin skinned fruits and vegetables) include Celery, Peaches, Strawberries, Apples, Blueberries, Nectarines, Bell peppers, Spinach, Kale, Cherries, Potatoes, Grapes, Cucumbers, Squash and Zucchini.
2) Eat healthy fats: Your brain and your hormones need healthy fats! Our brains are 80% fat.
- Organic butter and ghee from pastured cows
- Coconut oil, palm oil, olive oil, walnut oil, flax seed oil, sesame oil
- Free range, organic eggs and pastured meat
- Fatty fish and fish oil
3) Choose nutrient dense carbohydrates. Ditch the grains (with the exception of rice and quinoa in moderation) and eat complex carbs: Vegetables, beans, sweet potatoes, and fruit. Always combine carbs with healthy fats or protein.
* Avoid processed sugar and high fructose corn syrup. Excess sugar feeds cancer cells, triggers weight gain, promotes premature aging, feeds pathogenic bacteria and yeast, creates hormonal imbalance and shrinks our brain. Sugar causes inflammation.
* Avoid grains, especially gluten – Gluten intolerance is linked over 100 illnesses. Research has shown that as many as 40% of all Americans may be gluten sensitive. No human can properly digest gluten. Whole wheat bread has a higher glycemic index than a tablespoon of sugar or a Snickers Bar. Get tested or try an elimination diet.
4) Eat organic, pastured eggs and meat. Factory farmed/feed lot animals have a very different nutritional profile than naturally raised animals. Eat 4 servings of protein a day.
5) Eat traditional foods – Fermented foods contain billions of probiotics for building a healthy immune system (kefir, sauerkraut, kimchi, Greek yogurt, fermented coconut water, kambucha, etc.), organ meats, bone broth, and meat on the bone.
6) Take Supplements – Probiotics, Digestive Enzymes, Omega 3 fatty acids (DHEA), Vitamin D3, & Magnesium and iodine (Dulse and kelp)
7) Drink pure, filtered water. Tap water contains chlorine, fluoride and who knows what else.
8) Move your body – I recommend interval training, walking, yoga and rebounding. Find something you love and do it!
9) Get 7-9 hours of sleep in a completely dark room. EMFs can interfere with sleep so keep your phone on airport mode if it’s by your bed and turn your wifi off at night.
10) Reduce your stress, deal with negative emotions, practice gratitude and forgive those who have wronged you and don’t forget to forgive yourself.
11) Get tested for food sensitivities, GI health, chemical and heavy metal load, hormones, adrenal health, lyme disease, etc… Visit the Integrative Wellness Center.
12) Learn to cook – Cooking is a lost art in America. Cooking can be fun, nourishing, and educational. Cooking can bring families and communities together. For some kids it’s their only interaction with the natural world.
13) Don’t let yourself become isolated. Find a community. Grow in your faith and use your gifts and resources to bless others.
My Favorite Food Pyramid from Nourishing Hope